Love It? Add It!

Bookmark and Share

Share with Facebook Friends

Need Content for Your Website, Newspaper, Magazine?

Daily, Relevant Content
SEO-Driven
Newsletters, Blog Entries, Email Blasts
Interviews, Business Profiles & More!

+++Proofreading, Editing & Consulting Services Also Available

Contact me at nataliecampisi@gmail.com


Pirate Pics are Here! Click Below to See 'Em All...

2009 Florida Fashion Poll. Click Below for the Results!

LUST ITEM OF THE WEEK!

LUST ITEM OF THE WEEK!
Villeroy & Boch Coffee Pot

Audrey Hepburn on Men

“You can always tell what kind of a person a man really thinks you are by the earrings he gives you.”

5 Things You Can Do To LOOK and FEEL Delicious This Summer! (Click on Pic Below)

Spring Into Sumptuous Fabrics! Click Below to See:

Fashion Files

Who are you most looking forward to seeing at the Oscars?

Wednesday

La Florida Chic Chats with Celebrity Trainer/Actor Vincent Maggio

Hugh Jackman (far left) and Vincent Maggio (far right) with his lovely date at Donna Karan's dinner for Australian Aboriginals.

With 6'2" of tanned and sculpted muscle, personal trainer to the stars and aspiring actor VINCENT MAGGIO cuts a striking figure - even on the streets of Manhattan where hundreds of people compete for attention or just become part of the inevitable and indistinguishable mass of bodies all dressed in NYC black.


Part good looks, part unique style and part je ne sais pas quois - Maggio has a sort of ineffable quality that compels you to root for him. It's no wonder then that the Florida native snagged Calvin Klein as one of his A-list clients.




La Florida Chic chatted with Mr. Maggio about a number of very important things, such as his favorite brand of denim. It's okay, you can thank us later. ;)

Vincent Maggio dressed as the "Naked Cowboy" posing it up with Bethenny Frankel of reality-television fame - she's also super funny (see her on Bravo's Real Housewives of New York City).

La Florida Chic: How did you become interested in health and physical fitness?
Vincent Maggio: Arnold Schwarzenegger was actually my inspiration as a young kid. He represented to me what a man should be like, all the courage and confidence. He had a great attitude and a lot of determination; his charisma really won me over.

LFC: As a personal trainer and aspiring actor, do you find that you need a high level of self-discipline to achieve your goals?
VM: Absolutely. You have to be disciplined. For Halloween, I went as the "Naked Cowboy" and I had to cut back to 1700 calories per day to get the results I wanted, for my height that's not a lot of calories. My goal this year is to stay relatively lean all year-round. My other goal is to indulge my creative pursuits in everything I do - whether it's personal training or working on a book.

LFC: What would be your advice to the average person who wants to look better in a bathing suit this summer?
VM: For someone who really wants to make an aesthetic change, you have to restrict your calories. You can work out until you're blue in the face - you'll get stronger, but it's not going to make an aesthetic difference. Ninety percent of the people who come to me want to lose excess body fat. Beyond 1500-2000 calories a day, the body doesn't need more to function.

LFC: Do you think it's true that there are just "skinny" people who can eat whatever they want and never gain weight?
VM: I think the people who seem genetically blessed just don't indulge in food as much. They're not emotional eaters. Those people are rare. As far as a genetic predisposition to being skinny, I'm not sure about that. The fact is even skinny people can get fat.

LFC: So, let's say you were one of those rare species of humans who just never ever get fat (despite eating fried peanut butter and sausage pancakes all day), what would be your food of choice?
VM: Oh boy, I've got so many. Anything sugary and sweet. Authentic Mexican food and authentic Italian. I love my Nana's lasagna.

Vincent with La Florida Chic writer, Natalie Campisi

LFC: On that note - what are your favorite restaurants, in New York and Florida?
VM:That's tough. Oh man. One each?
LFC:Yup. One each.
VM: Okay, in Florida it's gotta be Prime One Twelve in South Beach. They have fantastic steaks. My favorite restaurant in New York...this is hard. It's a tie between Charles in the West Village and Pastis in the meatpacking district.

LFC: So for a night on the town in New York and Miami - what's a typical outfit you might wear?
VM:It's important to have a great pair of jeans that stand out. I like Energie jeans, boot cut. But I've also gotten great jeans at Banana Republic and Puma. Short-sleeve shirts that show off my body are important, too. In the city, I like wearing cowboy boots. It's too damn hot for boots in Florida. In New York it's about a good coat. In Florida it's more about showing off your body.

LFC: Are you brand conscious or do you just go for what you like?
VM: I don't buy into the whole brand thing. If it looks good, it looks good. I wore a great trench coat the other day I bought at H&M eight years ago and the head of Cole Haan loved it - I got great compliments. That's the perfect example. Someone who's in great shape and is confident is going to look better in a cheap pair of jeans than someone who's out of shape and doesn't feel good about themselves wearing an expensive pair of jeans. I can put a shirt on from Target and look dynamic and turn heads. Tar-zsay is one of my favorite places to shop actually.

LFC: Any other favorite shopping destinations?
VM: I've gotten a lot of clothes in South Beach. Source Paris on Lincoln Road is one of my favorite places down there. I like to dress unique.

LFC: How would you describe your overall style?
VM:I like to stand out, but not like the Ed-Hardy, Rock-and-Roll look. I don't like sequins. Last night, I had on what I call my "Wild Bill Hitchcock" look.
LFC: I'm pretty sure our readers will want you to elaborate on this.
VM: Okay ... basically, it's a trench coat with fur on it, cowboy boots, jeans and a red bandanna tied around my neck. People love that look.
LFC: Really?
VM: Oh yeah...that's in contrast to my Neil Armstrong jacket I wear. It's all silver and puffy, it looks like I just landed on the moon.

LFC: Do people tend to notice you more in New York dressed this way?
VM:No question about it. People are always asking me where I'm from, a lot of people think I'm from L.A. I definitely have more of a Florida, Miami style. I don't have that conservative look New Yorkers have. It's just my personality.

Washington Square Park, NYC

LFC: What about the ladies in Florida vs. New York - is it easier dating one over the other?
VM:I always felt it's easier to meet women in Florida - less competition. There are so many men in New York, it's much harder to get noticed. In Florida, you still gotta be charming, handsome, funny - but I think in places like South Beach it's all about the sex, people go there to show off, the women are more open and receptive. In New York, I think women are more on their guard.

LFC: So, then what's your idea of an attractive woman?
VM:A woman who has passion for something. A woman who's independent but still in touch with her nurturing side.

LFC: Any celebrity crushes?
VM: Eva Mendes! As far as having a lot of sex appeal, Eva Mendes definitely. And Megan Fox.

LFC: If you could work with any actress and actor in a movie...
VM:That's easy, Harrison Ford. Blade Runner is one of my favorite movies of all times. It has everything in it and it's a good love story, too. Jack Nicholson. Robert DeNiro. The leading lady would be Meryl Streep. She's incredible.

LFC: Who would you love to train? Any dream clients?
VM: Oh sure. Harrison Ford.
LFC: You've obviously thought about this.
VM: Harrison Ford is in great shape. Or Hugh Jackman - I've met him personally. He has a great body. He understands the importance of lifting heavy weight.

LFC: What's it like working with someone as successful and famous as Calvin Klein?
VM: When you're around someone like that you're always trying to be the best. He's an icon. He expects the best - he's used to perfection. It shows in all of his work. He's taught me to make sure everything I do is excellent. But he's also so laid back. He's so comfortable with himself. He doesn't judge anyone. I have a lot of respect for him.

LFC: Is there a big difference between your male and female clients?
VM: I think men are more into numbers - women are more interested in how they look and feel in clothes. Men want to know how much they're lifting. Women, for the most part, aren't interested in how strong they are.

LFC: If there was something you could tell people who want to get into better shape, what would it be?
VM:Understand that it's a lifestyle change. Don't eat just to eat. When you make the right food choices you're in control - that alone makes you feel empowered

Check out his appearances as "Officer Pierce" on Guiding Light!



1 comment:

  1. Great interview Natalie!! I enjoyed reading it!! Really cool!

    ReplyDelete

 
var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www."); document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));